Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Good Break Taken!

I generally train seven days a week. It just feels right and it works for me! I don't recommend it to most of my clients because of the fear of over-training injuries and just plain old recovery time.

I do however, listen to my body and that being said, when its time for a break... its time for a break. I don't often have a week where I have more rest days than training days and so it felt a little awkward to have that be the case this last week. My week looked like this:

Monday - 11.5 run, Tuesday - 11.5 walk, Wednesday - rest - 5 mile walk (I consider most of my walks under 10 miles active recovery), Thursday - rest, Friday - rest, Saturday - rest - 8 mile walk, Sunday - 5k run.

Very light week for me! Turns out it was just what I needed! I just came back from a quick 5k run and it was quick... for me. The pace was almost a full minute per mile faster than I usually run and I honestly could have maintained it for another 5k and still felt great afterwards.

Turns out listening to my body can be a pretty good thing!

If you have those times where you are doing a lot of training and you feel a little flat, it may be time to back off for a week. You may just be pleasantly surprised with the results!

Give it a shot.

Now go get active!



Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment