Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Always Learning







If you are striving to be a better all around athlete, you need to pay attention to all of the details.

Being competitive is more than just making yourself a little faster. Its about physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. And its about improving in all of those areas.

That's a hand full and requires patience and time (something most of us wish we had more of). In my quest for an ultra marathon next January, I've started looking at all of the areas that need improving. I then begin working on them as time permits. Time does permit, its just up to you and I to decide; at that point we'll find a way. Many years ago I made a commitment to myself that I would read, just twenty minutes a day. I was constantly complaining that I didn't have enough time, but twenty minutes seemed doable and so I began.

I have likely read over a thousand books in my lifetime, most of them since I made that decision just a few short years ago.

My point there is; you have time if you're committed enough.

The last few days I have been really focused on my walking form (yes, there is such a thing). I love walking, almost as much as running. Walking can be critical for an ultra runner and as such needs to be part of your training. What I found though was that after a two or three hour walk, I would be more sore than after a run of the same length.

How could this be?

The answer; form.

I've done a lot of reading and research on the bio mechanics of walking and running, which I won't get into here, but I will over the next few days share some of my observations as to what I changed and how.

I can tell you that some of the small changes I have made so far have removed most of the post walk pain and at the same time made me faster when I want to be.

I'm heading out now for a two hour "experimental" walk. I'll let you know how it goes!

Who ever thought at 45, I would be learning more than I did at 18?

No comments:

Post a Comment